Drayton Gardens lies between the Old Brompton Road and the Fulham Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea with a number of significant cultural and historical landmarks, along with several diplomatic premises, found close by. In the 16th century, and prior to development, the area formed part of a three acre field on the Day Estate called Rosehall or Rose Hawe which later became a market garden. For more than two hundred years the Day family had owned land on both sides of Old Brompton Road. In 1835 the family purchased the enfranchisement of the copyhold tenure from Lord Kensington, the Lord of Earls Court Manor. Then, in the 1840s, there was a revival in London building activity and James Day leased the land to speculators and 57 houses were built within 7 years with the Metropolitan Board of Works in 1884 renaming the area Drayton Gardens. As an aside the largest single household in 1861 was not at one of the newly built residential houses but the Drayton public house, where lived the publican, his wife, their seven children and five servants, making a total of fourteen occupants!